The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying by each Rotarian of his/her occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian to his/her personal, business and community life;
- The advancement of international understanding, good will, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional men and women united in the ideal of service
The Four Way Test
The Four Way Test is a statement of business and service ethics created by Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor in 1932 when he was asked to take charge of the Chicago-based Club Aluminum Company, which was facing bankruptcy. This business ethics test was applied to all aspects of the company’s work, and the survival of the company was credited to following this philosophy.
- Is it the Truth?
- Is it Fair to all concerned?
- Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
- Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
Expectations of Membership
To be a Niles Rotarian you are expected to give your time and talents to Community service, Club social functions, and Club and District activities. Other expectations include:
- Wearing your Rotary Pin daily, especially at meetings and other Rotary functions.
- Attendance at weekly meetings (with make-ups allowed by visiting other Rotary groups or District events)
- Attendance at key club social functions, such as the Annual Elimination Raffle
- Financial participation in a variety of ways, including initiation fee, annual dues, and selected fees in recognition of events and anniversaries
Rotary qualifies as a non-profit organization under Section 501 (c)(3), some of these costs are tax-deductible by businesses and individuals, except for the value of meals and prizes received.
Maintaining Membership in Niles Rotary
In the interest of maintaining an active, vibrant and healthy club, The Rotary Club of Niles (Fremont) Board of Directors instituted the following set of minimum requirements to maintain membership in the club:
- Maintain an attendance level greater than 60% with at least 50% of attendance at club meetings
- Pay the annual club dues by June 30th
- Purchase or sell at least one Rotary Elimination Raffle Ticket
- Make a donation to the Rotary International Foundation
- Remain in good financial standing with the club
Expectations in the First Months of Niles Rotary Membership
When you join our Club you will receive a Red Badge to indicate to others that you are a new member, and are learning the ways of Rotary and meeting fellow Club members. All new Niles Rotarians (AKA “Red Badgers”) are expected to complete the following list of activities in order to receive their permanent Blue Badge:
- Attendance: 100% for 3 months in a row (make-ups count as attendance)
- Attend one District function
- Attend one Niles social event
- Attend one Board Meeting (second Thursday of each month, 7:30-9 a.m.: Washington Hospital Foundation Conference Room 240)
- Deliver a 2-5 minute icebreaker talk, sharing with the Club your personal and professional background (arrange with President)
- Deliver to the club secretary, a picture of you for publication (our photographer will take the photo or you can upload your own photo)
- Make up at another Rotary Club
- Participate in a Club fundraiser or club community work project:
- Participate in a Committee (Contact any Board member or your Mentor or Sponsor)
- Complete Roster Information on NilesRotary.org website (you will receive your login information from our Club Secretary)
- Bring a guest to lunch. Never introduce a guest as a potential member!
- Fulfill COGS (Club Operations Group Service) service satisfactorily.
- Complete Online Youth Protection Awareness Training
- Participate in Mentoring Program. You will be assigned a mentor who, along with your sponsor, will help you along as a new member in meeting the Blue Badge Requirements, answering any questions, etc.