How do you feel?
Seems like a very appropriate question does it not? Last month I welcomed the new year and stated “By the time you are reading this, we’ve kicked off 2021 and are all hopeful that soon we will emerge from the pandemic that has sheltered us in place since March.” Well….as the pandemic continues, the realization that I will be the first President in Niles Rotary history to NOT have a live meeting is setting in. Our Rotary lives have been virtual. As the president of your club and to gain perspective, I lean into something Past Rotary International President Richard King told me…. and countless others for that matter. He talks of the Eagle….and three attributes an eagle is known for…..Conviction, Vision, and Commitment! You see, I have been fortunate to host Richard in our “studio” over the past several months while he delivers speeches to districts and zones all over the country. On this very iPad that I now type this message, I have stored many amazing and inspirational speeches that Richard has delivered. (Along with quite a few songs I will add). In each speech, he reminds Rotarians of the following:
- Learn what Rotary is all about
- Change is inevitable and we must change the club from what it is to what it needs to be
- That we have tremendous challenges to overcome the issues we face today
- We must remember that Rotary is the most influential service club the world has ever known
- Focus on visions that can be accomplished for the balance of our Rotary year:
- Change membership to allow a live-stream, interactive option
- Analyze our dues structure to assure club financial success far into the future.
- Expand on Rotary’s new area of focus…the Environment
- Expand on the Vocational avenue of service
- Keep working to find meaningful (COVID safe) community service projects
- Reach out to members we have not seen during the “zoom” year, just as we did when this pandemic started
- Expand our vision for the Rotary Foundation and the work we help fund worldwide
We’ve made the best of our virtual meetings….as our meeting team strives to make them entertaining while at the same time getting the work of Rotary done. We work to attract visitors to our entertaining meetings …and allow the news to spread that Niles Rotary is a relevant and fun service organization….even in zoom times! Please share our meeting link with those who have a heart for service!
Richard goes on to say that “More things get accomplished because of how people feel.” So, how do you feel…..about Rotary? What is your commitment to our Club? Invite a friend to attend. Help spread the word and in so doing, feel good about telling the world that YOU are a Rotarian.
Now, more than ever, we need to feel good about Rotary. In doing so, we can “feel good” about ourselves! Always remember, Niles Rotary Makes US Bloom!
Keep on Blooming!